landscape

landscape

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

At The Thrift Store

A man told me
At the thrift store
Where I volunteer
Where I run the cash register
Where we chat about what people buy
What a lovely color
That shirt or vase or trinket

The man told me
About his pig
Now seven years old
Likely to live no more than twelve

Used to sleep at the foot of the man's bed
Now he lives in a converted garage
Sleeps on memory foam cushions
The pig -- not the man

I marvel at what people love
Anything loved is a good thing - no?
Anything that lets us give with ease to another being

When that pig closes his eyes for the last time
Without a grunt or complaint
In five years -- if that
The man will mourn
Call his name

A piece of him will break off
Drop into an ocean of loss
Be swirled and absorbed

For now the man cherishes his pig
'They grow up so fast
Love them while you can'

He smiles and waves goodbye

Next....

- February 18 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment